Mixed Media Art. Photography. Inspiration.

Thursday, February 9, 2012

My Petite Valentine Art



Hi there.  
I mentioned in the last post that I was painting like a mad woman trying to finish my art pieces to submit for Zinnia's Petit Valentin art show, so here they are.  The show goes up this Saturday the 11th with the opening from 6-9:00 pm.  I'm planning on being there so if you are in the South Pasadena area Saturday stop by and say "hi" and maybe even go home with a fantastic piece of art!  My pieces are priced to sell at only $35 each!  There will be tons of other PetiteValentine (all had to be under 5") art pieces there from other artists too, with varying price ranges.  Zinnia has around 250 pieces for the show so there'll be plenty to choose from, but since they have so many they won't be able to put them all out at once.  They said as the art sells off the wall they'll keep replacing it with more, so if you like a piece of mine but don't see it there just ask them... it might not be sold, it might just be in the back.  I'm so excited to go check it out Saturday evening, and I can't wait to see what everyone else did.  Lot's of hearts, hearts, hearts, I'm sure!




Click on the flyer to be able to read it better.


Today I'm only going to share close-ups of three of the six pieces.  I'll post the close-ups of the three plaster pieces (from the top row above) in the next day or two.

First up is titled "Be Still".  It's on a 5" x 3 1/2" piece of wood.






Love all that texture!  The crinkly background was made from painted tinfoil.  You can see it in the top right in the photo below while the foil was only partially covered with paint.  The soft green swirls are from a cool cut-out scrapbook paper that I painted and made all thick and crusty with heavy gel medium.  The heart was cut out from plaster cloth and painted.

This photo below was an in progress shot taken with my phone.







Next piece is titled "Pinned".  It's on a 4 1/4 x 4 1/4 piece of wood.







For "Pinned" I used heavy gel medium for the main texture and glass bead gel inside the heart.  I added copper tacks, wire, around the heart.  I then used the heavy gel medium to glue a small piece of copper sheet that I had previously stamped, to the side of the piece.  A foam stamp was dabbed in paint then used to stamp the pattern on.



The final piece for today is titled "Fulfill". It's done on a 4" x 4" canvas.



The olive green is paper that I smudged with red paint, then I drew a heart and smudges with graphite.  The long screw and bolt were from an old glass drawer knob from our house.  I used silver leaf along the sides and edges, then antiqued and sealed the whole thing.  Actually all pieces were sealed for protection.

I'll be back soon with the close-ups of the other three and any info I might have forgotten.  
See you soon!



9 comments:

Carin said...

Oh my goodness!!! As a texture junkie, my heart skips a beat whenever you post something new- you sure are the queen of texture. My two favourites are pinned and amour. Good luck at the show!

Mandy said...

Just adorable esther ...yhete textures are amazing snt the colours beautiful...the tacks in pinned look so cool...xxx

Diane said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!! And the whole event sounds like so much fun--wish I could go...

Thespoena McLaughlin said...

They are all just perfect! I wish I was closer, I would definitely be there to support you girl. Hugs!

Rossylalah said...

Love the glass bead idea on pinned and the tin alfoil, very very clever! Thanks for sharing your techniques Esther, you are very kind! The art show looks fantastic!
I bet you are excited.

Deb Ammerman said...

Everything looks wonderful! And the event sounds like to much fun, wish I lived closer, I would go. Have a great time and be sure to tell us all about it! :)

Cristi Baxter Clothier said...

Absolutely fabulous! I adore "Pinned" and "Fulfill".

Kristin said...

Absolutely awesome! LOVE it, xoxo

Sada said...

These are all so incredible. I am waiting to buy Be Still for my hubby's birthday. Please stay away all potential Zinnia buyers!!! This one is MINE! Although I want to buy Fulfill for myself too...oh boy......
xo
Sada
Dressology HQ