Mixed Media Art. Photography. Inspiration.

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Finished Painting : The Healing Tree


Hi there.

I'd like to share my latest mixed media painting, "The Healing Tree", with you. It's my new favorite.  I've been working on this on and off for the last 6-7 months... not straight through (thank goodness).  It's driven me crazy and caused many labor pains to be born into this world, but it was well worth it.  

It had quite an interesting start...as it didn't start off as a tree at all... but a peacock feather!  This was the first stage below.


A nice start I thought... loose and free, but then something went horribly wrong and it evolved to this below.  I had something in mind, but now I can't remember what.  OK, it's not THAT bad really, and I really like the depth and texture that was added by the torn papers and stamping...you can click on the photo to see it better.


So after that I put it aside and let it stew for a bit.

Then one day I suddenly wanted to paint a tree.  NOW!  I looked around, saw this canvas and thought "Nope.  Not feather..... TREE."  (what am I, a caveman?  no sentence.  just word)  Umm...yeah...


So I painted over the whole thing, drew a tree with orange water-color crayon, grabbed some aqua paint and a spiral suddenly appeared.  Hmm... ok... I like it.


Then I started on the tree and tore some vintage book pages into leaf shapes.  I created even more leaves with cream paint and others with green.


Then there was a lot more painting, glazing, and layering to create more depth, vitality, and luminosity.  I also used a few water-color crayons to give it some "pop" and bring out some details.  Don't forget to use a spray sealer after using these crayons, or it'll easily wash away.


One of the final details was adding the rain.


Sometimes when I create a painting, it's just to have fun and make something pretty.  Other times I have a deeper meaning in mind (and heart) before starting.  And sometimes it starts as the first one, but then evolves to become something much more significant.  This is definitely the last one.  It started becoming more meaningful when I painted the spiral and just kept growing from there.  It's not something I can completely explain or even understand, but as I was working on it, I could feel it.  I could feel that this painting is about more than just a simple tree, that there is a deeper, spiritual meaning to it.  The title "The Healing Tree" came to me when it was almost finished.  It is obviously a huge part of it the message, but there's more to it than that.

It's in the details...

 The spiral.
The branches.
The white leaves.
The rain.
The falling leaf.
The tree itself.
Maybe even the book pages.

The meaning isn't always revealed to me as I'm working on it.  At times it can take a while after I've finished it for it to come.   I've yet to completely grasp this one.  I've had some whispers, but not the whole message.



Whatever it's full meaning is, it speaks to me.  I'm going to hang on to this one.



13 comments:

Kristin said...

It looks amazing, i love it!! I am a big fan of trees and you did a fantastic job :)

Mandy said...

I think its amazing...I believe I remember its beginnings...I love it how it has ended up....its do rich...lucious...love the colours and I love trees as well...maybe you can send some of its healing.g through cyber space to my little guy... we have had a few weeks of tricky times...no hospital tho so that's a good thing....you have inspired me yet again esther tho no paintin.g. for me this week..I have had my hands too full...I am looking forward to next week tho...getting my hands dirty...gotta love that!...xxx

Sherri B. said...

I love your "Healing Tree", it turned out great, very nice!

Unknown said...

So beautiful! I love seeing how the painting progressed, especially the leaves.

Lynn said...

Its lovely - I love the story of its evolution.

Andrea Ostapovitch said...

It is absolutely beautiful! I love how free you are with your painting and how you can allow your art to evolve. I could definitely take lessons from you!
All the best...
Andrea

Shelby and Bev said...

oh, i love this esther, and the evolution. i can certainly relate to your labor pains regarding art. i use to throw canvases in the trash when i first starting making art, i would be so frustrated! i have learned that mistakes are just all part of the process, to hang on to the canvas and let it evolve in to something else. the healing tree is quite lovely...
love and hugs to you...xo

Rossylalah said...

Yes I agree Bev. That is what art is, evolution, isn't it? There are no mistakes in art, just happy accidents!

Jo-Ann Dziubek-MacDonald said...

Healing Tree...I love it. The peacock feather was looking promising, and I can relate to that feeling when you work so hard on a painting only to realize that is just ain't workin'! The spiral changed everything and I love love how the tree grew from there. Thanks for sharing :)

Kristin said...

TG in the house!!! I LOVE it - all the gorgeous texture and detail - and I love that it came from deep within - that's the best part of art - when we can wear our heart on our sleeve (er, canvas). Bravo, xoxo

Lesley Edmonds said...

I love that falling leaf......this tree is really powerful and the circles behind it indicate to me it's healing power. Beautiful painting.
x

My Life Under the Bus said...

Love this the color is so soothing - beautiful tree just beautiful.

Sharon said...

Your tree is amazing, and very soothing to the eye and spirit. I don't blame you for keeping it!

Your creative journey with your painting and its metamorphosis is interesting and inspiring. Art has a way of transforming into what you need to share with the world, and it transforms not only its creator, but also those to whom it speaks. I love it!