Mixed Media Art. Photography. Inspiration.

Friday, March 16, 2012

L'Artiste Texture Painting (For The Love Of Art)


Hello there.
I have a new textured painting to share.  Well, ok, it was finished a month or two ago but it's new to you because you haven't seen it yet... unless you've been sneaking around my studio ;-)

This painting came about because I wanted to use one of my paint palette hearts.  I use paper palettes often to squeeze and/or mix my paint onto, and quite a while ago I really liked the way one of my paint palette papers (say that fast 5xs) looked, so I didn't want to throw it out.  It was loaded with globs of dried paint on both sides.  I remembered seeing some birds done by Robert Burridge in which he used dried paint globs that were peeled up from plastic (or something like that).  Very cool.  So, inspired, I cut the paint-loaded paper into a big heart shape, knowing that I'd use it sometime later in my art.


And that's just what I did.  I glued the heart onto a canvas with heavy gel medium, then proceeded to add texture all over the canvas with the medium.




I also glued down some lace, dried flower pods from the tree in our front yard, a very old square nail, and  a bit of mesh.  





 I was struggling with the colors on this for a bit.  There were so many colors on the heart that I wasn't sure which color(s) to bring out.  In the very bad photo below you can see what it looked like for a bit, kind of a terra-cota color.  I ended up painting it mostly red after that (no photo) and hated it, so I painted most of it out with an off-white.  



I love how it looks with the red peeking through, not as the main focus.  To make it all blend together better I went over the heart with the white also.  I'm really loving the red/cream combo!




This piece to me is about my love of being an artist.  
There's nothing like it. 
 I love being able to paint and play, and to know that it's what I am meant to do.  
It is truly a blessing!


9 comments:

Lesley Edmonds said...

Hello Esther,
Love this!!! What a clever idea to use up your old blobby palettes. I really like that you can just see the colours through the medium and paint. I'm glad you showed your 'red' picture because the difference after you had added the off-white is remarkable and looks so much better I think.
Wonderful texture as always. Really lovely!

Unknown said...

Love the painting! It is so encouraging also to hear about your struggles with colour, since I have been going through that with my current painting and it's driving me a bit nuts! I have to remind myself that this is all part of the process.

Jester said...

It's wonderful - I love the texture and your final palette works really well.

Leah said...

Oh, the dangerous addiction of saving things because you know "you can use it for something cool later". Of course unlike me, you actually do and produce stunning art with it. Love this piece so much.
Thank you so much for your comments. I think you should try doing some tea with your little guy...buy him a mug with a train on it or something...used only for "tea with Mama", and let him gob on the honey. Your last comment made me laugh so hard. I didn't see who left it at first and was like " oh my word what a rude person!", then I saw it was you...so funny!
Happy Sunday.
Leah

Kathryn Zbrzezny said...

Hi! Thanks for visiting, I'm glad you did! I love your collage and the layers you show. I am a pod lover, so your dried flower pods rock my world in that already gorgeous piece!

Lynn said...

It is great. I agree that the inclusion of the photo showing the piece as red and then with the white over that really helps appreciate the finished piece. Love the flower pods too. I sometimes save pods and other interesting things to use at a later date but they usually disintegrate with age before I get around to it:):) Lovely piece, thanks for sharing it.

Renee Troy said...

It's fabulous Esther! What fun to recycle dried paint...very inspiring!

Leah said...

E,
Yes, telling other what to do has always been one of my best talents, just ask my family.
Wanted to share this link with you. I have been an amazed fan of her and her blog for the last few months. Today's post reminded me of you:
http://www.aholyexperience.com/
Cheers,
Leah

Kristin said...

You had me at used palette paper and square nail!
I love everything about his - and your texture here looks like cake frosting. So amazing! oxox